Tuesday 3 May 2011

Friday 29th April 2011

Yet another holiday and the start of a long weekend and I was wanting an easy day today before the 3 Peaks the next day.
So I was going to do Leg 3 Dunmail as far as Great End and then make my way back to Langdale via Angle Tarn.

Thanks once again to Rachel for dropping me off at Dunmail so she could get to Langdale to start here route up Pike of Blisco, Crinkle Craggs, Bow Fell and Esk PIke and back to Langdale.

The good thing is with doing the climb out of Dunmail so many times is that it seems to be getting alot shorter and easier, this was evident from arriving at Steel Fell in 18 Min's.! maybe the wind assistance at the top of the gully helped the time!

I was amazed how much this part of the route as dried out now, I kept on this route passing Calf Crag and the path that runs parallel with Mere Beck finding a more direct route to Sergeant Man in 1 hour 9 Min's again under schedule time. Soon I was passing High Raise, Thunacar, Harrison, and Pike of Sickle just sticking to the path which seemed to be working well. On leaving Pike O' Sickle I was joined by another runner that was doing part of this Leg. He took me along the Langdale Horse Shoe route to Rossett which did include a steeper climb than usual but it followed the ridge diagonally and picked a trod up that contoured round the last crag before the summit of Rossett. Well it seemed quicker and more direct than other routes previously used. Now Bow Fell via hanging Knotts and again this seemed quick and it was reaching the summit of Bow fell in 2 hours 49 minutes usually done in 3 hours 21 Min's. Not to hang around here as the high winds from the East were cold. So onwards to Esk Pike and the last peak of the day Great End. I was hoping to bump into Rachel so we could descend together to Langdale, but it didn't happen and I continued past Angle tarn and down Rossett Gill to a much warmer Langdale Rachel arrived after me not by much and twisted my arm for a pint at the 3 Shires :)

Not sure on mileage and ascent but was an enjoyable 4 hours 30 Min's

No comments: