Sunday 13 March 2011

Saturday 12th March 2011

Unfortunately this week I started with a cold, but I managed to get out for three local runs during the week. It was good to see Mark and Matt back out running this Wednesday after Injuries etc.

Not letting the cold take over my enthusiasm, I decided to run from Dunmail over Leg three. This was a late start not setting off from Dunmail until 12:15. The weather was appalling and visibility was not good even at the road side at Dunmail.
I set off up what can be described as a steep ascent! I took the advice of the Bob G map and went up the left gully and this seemed allot easier than the other week following the fence line. I took it really steady and still managed to reach the summit of Steel fell in 23 minutes. Visibility was down to 20 meters and sometimes worse with rain blowing across the fell this was going to be a good navigation practice. Calf Crag was soon reached and then onwards to join the metal fences that run up parallel with mere beck, my choice of ascending to Sergeant Man before High raise. This was my first navigation mistake! Instead of following the left hand branch of Merebeck and following a compass bearing to the summit of Sergeant Man, I cut up the middle branch which put me on open fell. I knew straight away what I had done, even though i couldn't see that i was in between Sergeant Man and High Raise. I decided to keep on the bearing as I should hit the track in between the two summits. Bingo! I did and out of the cloud the track and the noticeable summit of High Raise was reached. I decided not to back track to Sergeant Man and carried on to Thunacar Knott, Harrison Sickle and Pike of Sickle.
Today I decided to run in my Mudclaws to give me extra grip on the wet grass but these are deadly on wet rock and some of the rocky descents were dangerousily slippy.
I got as far Martcrag Moor and given the time of day and weather conditions It was time to make my way back to Dunmail. I took a bearing to land me on the track in between Thunacar Knott and High Raise so as not to over shoot the summit. This was a good steady climb straight into the very cold wind with a mixture of rain and sleet at times.My plan worked and I reached the track I recognised. Back along this track for a short distance and back on to High Raise. I decided to take a bearing and follow the good track to Sergeant Man. The visibility was now the worse I had all day. Head down and keep running and soon I was on Sergeant Man. I now wanted to take a bearing and follow back the route I should have come up earlier. Unfortunately I couldn't see any features and just followed the compass until I picked up the start of Mere beck.I followed It until i reached the other branch and the place I made the mistake earlier crossing the middle beck and going off course. Now it was a matter of back tracking all the way back to Dunmail. This was good running with my head down high in the grim weather. The descent down to Dunmail was fun and fast and at last the road and my car came into view.
A good day out despite the weather and not feeling 100%, just hope I haven't made it worse! Just 3 hours 56 Min's and just over 12 miles and nearly 1200m of ascent.


Paul Aitken said...

HI Andy

Good effort mate, you are certainly getting the miles in.

The bog looks really good!

I'm planning on getting out on sat. I might join you for some of your 3legs, I don't want to oner do it as I've got the bampton bash on the 26th and want to save my legs.

I'll speak to you closer to the time.



AndyJ said...

Cheers Paul, your more than welcome mate. I'll post the details of this Saturdays run. Hopefully we can do the first 2 legs after Bampton bash and start from Keswick mid nightish. Would also like to do Dunmail to Honister now the days are getting longer