Thursday 5 December 2013

Post UTMB 2013

Well its a couple of months since my successful completion of the UTMB. On my return the fire inside me has kept burning and my desire to get out running had increased even more. It was quite strange when I returned back home to the dales, it just just looked so flat round here, no 3000+ meter peaks. but been out in the French Alps for 3 weeks it as just made everything look so small here.

It didn't take me long, just 5 days post UTMB, before my first run. A nice and steady outing and I was surprised how good my legs felt. A recovery massage, thanks to Christine at 'Fit for Purpose' got rid of some of the tightness and left my legs feeling much fresher.

To be honest since then I have just continued to run and It wasn't long after the UTMB, about 3-4 weeks that I was doing my first 20+ miler. I haven't really looked back, feeling stronger and stronger and the body seems to be recovering faster and faster after long runs. So I just keep going out in the Dales and Lakes and just do what I do best, enjoy it, because to me that's what its all about. Enjoying the freedom that the mountains offers and I couldn't ask for more. Well that's a lie, a trip back to Chamonix wouldn't go a miss!

At the time of reading this I will be back fund raising for UWFRA at the weekend and will start the day with a early start run to Grassington. Oh and the planning continues. What I love about these long runs and challenges is the planning and here I am looking at a map plotting Checkpoints on it for the 'Tour-de-Helvellyn'. Looks like a cracking route from the village of Askham to Patterdale and up and round Helvellyn before returning back to the start. No hidden agendas for me, just go out and enjoy a great day out what ever the weather.

No kit issues or new kit as been bought, well I have just killed my Mizuno Wave Harrier 3's and Highly recommend them for long distance with the added bonus of good grip. My Inov8 315 have some life still in them, still my favourite distance shoe and probably the shoe choice for the TDH unless theres lots of snow, then the Mudclaws will be in action.

Well that's it for now but I am sure at some stage I will sign out of 2013 with a report from the Tour-de-Helvellyn.

No comments: